Monday, February 20, 2012

Pumpkin Risotto


Tonight I made my favourite risotto for tea.  It is pumpkin risotto with sage leaves.  The recipe is from Taste Italia magazine

Pumpkin Risotto
Pumpkin Risotto
Serves 4
300g risotto rice
250g pumpkin, cut in half, seeds scooped out, flesh cut into bite-size chunks
1 small onion, peeled, finely chopped
1-1.5 litres of vegetable stock
a bunch of sage leaves
a large knob of unsalted butter
grated Parmesan, to serve
3tbsp olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan, add the onion and pumpkin and gently fry for a few minutes.  Add the rice and stir to ensure the grains are evenly coated in oil.  Next, add a few ladlefuls of hot stock and stir until all the stock is absorbed.  Continue adding stock a ladleful at a time, adding the next addition once the last has been absorbed.  Continue to cook, stirring, for 15-18 minutes until rice is al dente.

Just before the rice has finished cooking, place the rest of the olive oil in a small frying pan, add the sage leaves and fry until crispy.

Finally, stir a knob of butter into the risotto, season, and serve topped with Parmesan and the crispy fried sage leaves.

Delicious!

I used to make another pumkin risotto but I would bake the pumpkin before adding it to the rice.  I would also add a can of coconut milk. 

I saw Jamie Oliver making a mushroom risotto on television last Saturday night.  It had lots of different varieties of mushrooms and look really tasty.  Must see if I can get a copy of that recipe

That's all for tonight.  Thanks for looking

1 comment:

  1. I love risotto! I make this a lot using butternut squash instead of pumpkin

    ReplyDelete